The Biola University Library and Media Services will serve as an exemplary library for an exemplary Christian University supporting the mission, vision, and values of Biola University.
The mission of the Biola University Library and Media Services is to provide access to and use of all forms of information and recorded knowledge, which support the University's commitment to biblically centered education and the integration of faith and learning, equipping men and women in mind and character to impact the world for the Lord Jesus Christ through its undergraduate and graduate programs regardless of format or location.
The University Library is committed to uphold and promote the values of Truth, Transformation, Testimony, through providing materials with a global perspective, integrity, diversity, diligence, excellence, creativity and respect for God, those we serve, and those with whom we serve.
The Biola University Library and Media Services commit to the following:
- To support all levels of the curriculum by providing selected basic materials and collateral sources in every discipline, in all media, relevant to the programs offered by the University.
- To assist the research activities of members of the Biola community by facilitating access to needed information and knowledge resources regardless of format or location.
To furnish such trained professional and staff support, in all areas of the library and media services, to
- select, acquire and maintain the necessary resource items, collections and technology;
- catalog and arrange resources for efficient and effective retrieval and use;
- give skilled help to patrons in pursuit of resources appropriate to their information needs;
- provide individual and group instruction regarding the resources and research techniques applicable to specific academic disciplines; and
- assist in the preparation and use of presentations in various and multiple media for the University community.
- To maintain facilities and services that facilitate the access, use and circulation of all material held by the University Library and Media Services; and to serve as a gateway to the information resources beyond the local holdings including, but not limited to, document delivery, interlibrary loans and rentals, and such online resources as are appropriate and sustainable for the Universityís mission.
To provide a sufficient and attractive physical facility that
- comfortably houses and effectively services all types and formats of information and knowledge resources and information and instructional technologies;
- provides a variety of inviting, quiet, well-lighted, comfortable, and accommodating facilities in an information rich environment for individual and group learning; and
- is centrally located in the university, bringing together all resources in one unified facility, for the stimulating association and interaction of all the university.
To serve appropriate information needs for those outside the immediate Biola community through:
- access to the facilities and resources of the Library to campus visitors, community residence, and such other patrons as abide by the rules of conduct, follow the policies of the Library and qualify for admission to the Library to the extent permitted by current policy;
- community library cards for the borrowing of library resources by the greater community including, but not limited to, pastors, Biola Alumni, local residents, and visitors from other libraries with whom we have established reciprocal visiting and borrowing arrangements;
- resource sharing through interlibrary loan, reciprocal borrowing, consortial and other such cooperative ventures as are developed and maintained from time to time to the benefit of the University.
- To serve as the University archives to preserve, protect, and facilitate the use of special collections relevant to the university's history and mission.